Learn about Puntarenas
The city of Puntarenas was the main port of Costa Rica in the Pacific. Currently Puerto Caldera (16 kilometers south of Puntarenas) is the most important Costa Rican port for the arrival of tourist cruises and also cargo in general.
This province reveals its tremendous geographic variety through vibrant landscapes. It has rainforests, cloud forests, biological reserves in some of the islands of the Gulf of Nicoya, marshes and the famous beaches of the Pacific. As for the area of its territory is a rather narrow strip, but occupies almost two-thirds of the Pacific coast.
It is the sixth province of the country, has 11 cantons and 43 districts.
Area: 11,276 square kilometers.
Capital: Puntarenas, 130 kilometers from San José.
Hot Weather; average temperature: 28 ° C.
Altitude: At sea level.
Zip line tours jaco beach
It is communicated with the rest of the country by important routes. It also has local airports and ferry services that cross the Gulf of Nicoya.
Mining takes place in the southern part of the province, where gold, zinc, iron and silver are extracted.
It has many places of tourist interest: beaches and national parks like Manuel Antonio, Carara and Corcovado. It also has several biological reserves and protected areas such as the Cabo Blanco Absolute Natural Reserve and the Golfito National Wildlife Refuge.
It is the province with the most islands: Chira, Bejuco, Caballo, Venado, Cedros, Knives, Negritos, San Lucas, Herradura, Violin, Caño Island and the well-known and protected Isla del Coco.
Among the crops of the area are: rice, pineapple, oil palm, banana, sugar cane, beans, tubers, tobacco and corn.
It also develops meat farming, aquaculture, fishing and beekeeping.
It limits to the north with Alajuela, San José and Limón, to the northwest with Guanacaste, to the south with the Pacific Ocean and to the southeast with Panama.
In pre-Columbian times, the Nicoya Peninsula was inhabited by chorotegas, while the central sector was occupied by the Huetares.
In 1522, the Spanish explorer and conqueror Gil González Davila arrived in Nicoya.
In 1524 the first Spanish settlement was erected: Villa Bruselas.
In 1556 was built, in Chomes, the second church of our territory.
In 1814 the Cortes of Cadiz granted Puntarenas the title of Puerto Mayor.
In 1834 it was planned to move the port to Caldera, but during the administration of Braulio Carrillo, six years later, the port returned to Puntarenas, already as a port of the State and later as a free port.
In 1821 the first school that was exclusively for boys was established in Esparza.
In 1848 Puntarenas did not have enough population to be considered an independent province by constitutional decree. In a special article it was established that it should form an independent region, until its population increased what is necessary to turn it into province.